Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Emboss Resist

Well, I can't get enough - of all the different amazing techniques that I am encountering as a new crafter, that is. Going back a mere 10 months ago, as I put it to a friend a couple of days ago, I didn't even know I had a creative itch to scratch. My oh my has it opened my eyes to a new and exciting world. I just want to try everything I see... and yet, that's just not going to happen is it?! At least, not as soon as I would like. Humph - no fair!!

One of the techniques however that I have had a particular hankering for is emboss resist. For this technique alone, there are so many variations on how it can be done. The first I saw and have tried is what Jennifer McGuire calls a Layered Emboss Resist. It was so fun to do and I know I have much resistance in my future! You can watch Jennifer's tutorial here:





Just magic! I am entering my attempts into a challenge set by Sarah of Inkurable Stampers, a blog I have only found this week after the purchase of my first Darkroom Door stamp.






The stamps I have used on my card include Darkroom Door Background Stamp French Script and Hero Arts Clings Poppy Background. The inks include yummy Distress Inks Barn Door and Worn Lipstick on the red card and Broken China and Tumbled Glass on the blue version. On the base of both cards I stamped Hero Arts Clings Cling Dots in Stampin' Up! Whisper White pigment ink. I rounded the top right hand corner with the We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper and then tied a ribbon around the front of each card. For the red card I stamped the French Script onto the white cardstock in Barn Door and then stamped the Poppy Background in Versamark over the top and embossed with clear embossing powder. I then used Worn Lipstick to colour the poppies and Barn Door to add definition and a deeper colour. I then used copic markers to fill in the stems of the poppies. I did the same for the blue card, starting with Tumbled Glass, highlighting with Broken China. I layered these onto blue and pink pearlescent cardstock respectively and pop dotted them onto the card fronts. I stamped Happy Birthday from Hot Off The Press Mix Your Messages stamp set onto the same pearlescent cardstock and cut and embossed them with a Nestabilities Labels 8 die. I pop dotted these also, after attaching a cute dragonfly brad in white.

I went to Paperific on Sunday with a friend. We arrived at opening, obtained our free bag celebrating the 10th Birthday of the expo and took only 20 minutes for lunch, leaving at closing time, only because we had to! It was too much fun! I added to my Distress Ink colours which I am looking forward to playing with and coveted a beautiful die cut machine that does everything! Hmmm....one day....a girl can dream....

May your day be filled with inspiration,


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Two beautiful cards, love how you used the two coloured inks.Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards complement each other beautifully - love the technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...these are beautiful cards. Sounds like a technique I would enjoy.....just added to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for leaving a comment - you've just brightened my day! :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips